Acronyms & Terminology
Fair Trade is a term, that refers to trade that is conducted fairly, where social and environmental standards are put in place for producers, and a fair price is paid. It also refers to a way to do business, and a social movement. It gets used in a variety of ways, by a variety of organizations, businesses and institutions.
Terminology and uses:
- Fair Trade, Fair trade & fair trade - All three refer to the term itself, and the ideas and values the term carries
- Fairtrade - Refers to Fairtrade International, a standard setting and certification organization (formally known as the Fairtrade Labelling Organization - FLO)
- Fairtrade certified, Fairtrade Certified, Fairtrade-certified - Refers to the certification conducted by Fairtrade International and its sister organizations around the world (such as Fairtrade Canada, in Canada)
- Fair trade certified or fair trade certified - Refers generally to the term, and to certification of that term
- Fair Trade Certified - refers specifically to certification completed by Fair Trade USA
- Handicrafts, Handmade - Refers hand crafted items such as homewares, decorations, and clothing
- Fairtrade International - Global leader in standard setting, auditing and certification. Based in Bonn, Germany
- Fairtrade Canada - Sister organization of Fairtrade International, carrying out auditing and certification, and the marketing and promotion of the Fairtrade Mark in Canada. Based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Fairtrade America - Sister organization of Fairtrade International, carrying out auditing and certification, and the marketing and promotion of the Fairtrade Mark in in the US. Based in Washington, DC, USA
- Fair Trade USA - Former sister organization of Fairtrade International in the USA, who left the international system. Based in Oakland, California, USA
- Ecocert - fair trade certifier based in France. Ecocert now owns IMO, and certifies and promotes the Fair for Life program
- Fair for Life | fair trade certified by IMO - fair trade certifier. Formerly based in Switzerland
- World Fair Trade Organization - Membership based organization, where membership is based on adherence to a set of 10 principles. Based in the Netherlands.
- Fair Trade Federation - Membership based organization, where membership is based on adherence to a set of 9 principles. Based in Wilmington, Delaware, USA.