A strong fair trade business sector is essential to the fair trade movement in Canada. For fair trade to be successful, companies must buy from fair trade producers in the global south and sell fair trade products in Canada. Fair trade products must be visible, they must be desirable, and they must be available.
We at the Canadian Fair Trade Network want to see all aspects of the food system in Canada engaged in selling fair trade products. This includes:
- companies who sell fair trade brands,
- food service and food distribution companies who provide food, and
- retailers who sell food.
The Canadian Fair Trade network looks to grow fair trade businesses in the following ways:
- Taking buyers to origin to gain firsthand experiences
- Working with food service companies to improve and diversify the fair trade products they offer
- Supporting companies that are 100% committed to fair trade
- Working with large companies on the transition to fair trade products
- Providing technical support to fair trade businesses where possible
- Providing financial mentorship and support for fair trade businesses.