Fair Trade Canmore
Canmore became the second community in Alberta to receive this designation. Since then several Canmore businesses are carrying Fair Trade products in their stores.
What is Fair Trade?
Fair Trade is really about making changes to conventional trade, which frequently fails to deliver on promises of sustainable livelihoods and opportunities for people in the poorest countries in the world. Poverty and hardship limit people’s choices while market forces tend to further marginalise and exclude them. This makes them vulnerable to exploitation, whether as farmers and artisans, or as hired workers within larger businesses. That two billion of our fellow citizens survive on less than $2 per day, despite working extremely hard, suggests that there is indeed a problem.
Fair Trade seeks to change the terms of trade for the products we buy - to ensure the farmers and artisans behind those products get a better deal. Most often this is understood to mean ensuring better prices for producers, but it often also includes longer-term and more meaningful trading relationships.
What is a Fair Trade Town?
The Fair Trade Towns campaign is an exciting initiative that allows Canmore to support Fair Trade at the local level. The campaign increases availability and awareness of Fair Trade Certified.
Why did Canmore become a Fair Trade Town?
- To distinguish your community as a leader and to confirm your commitment to supporting the principles of Fair Trade, including a fair price, respect for labour standards, environmental sustainability, and more direct and equitable trade
- To improve the livelihoods of the millions of farmers and workers in the developing world who benefit from the Fair Trade Certification system
- To create awareness and encourage local citizens to make ethical and sustainable choices
- To unite your community in a common cause
- To have fun and be creative