Fair Trade Advocacy Fund
Fair Trade Towns, Campuses & Schools, and those who drive them, are at the heart of the fair trade movement in Canada. These programs drive engagement within the community and the broader public. They also engage with business, local institutions and government. Much of this work is done volunteers, and groups and organizations often have little to no budget. We’d like to change that, or at least help with it.
The Fair Trade Advocacy Fund is looking to support Fair Trade Towns, Campuses and Schools in Canada to advance current goals, while begin to look at and plan for taking on new ones. The Fair Trade Advocacy Fund is looking to support in the following ways:
- Becoming and Maintaining Fair Trade Status
- activities that engage the community and broader public
- activities that engage the business sector, cafes, grocery stores, etc.
- activities that engage the municipal government, university or school
- activities that ensure long term sustainability of your Fair Trade group or organization, such as becoming a registered non-profit
- Deepening Municipal and/or University Support
- activities to drive sustainable public procurement policies
- activities that ensure policies are being implemented
- activities that show impact, such as acquisition of purchasing data
- Driving new Federal Policy Objectives (MP Engagement), such as:
- Sustainable Public Procurement
- Official Development Assistance spending
- Consumer protection, labelling laws
- Sustainable investing practices
- Future Federal Policy Objectives (MP Engagement), such as:
- Reforming trade policy
- Tackling Inequality
The CFTN is proud to provide Fair Trade Town, Campus and School leaders with monetary support to support long-term leadership, sustainability, and community & municipal engagement. Our support ranges from a $100 to $500 per project. If you have a bigger idea or project that requires financial support, please contact us, we would be happy to discuss additional funding. We do not provide blanket funding or back-pay, and we require a detailed proposal and budget when submitting your application. We would also like to encourage you to seek this funding as matching funding, as we'd love to hear that others are contributing to your work, and/or you have a startegy to raise funds through your event or campaign.
Who can apply
All active Fair Trade Town, Campus and School groups or organizations in Canada (registered or not). This includes those working toward designation, and those who have already acheived it.
When to apply
Anytime! We're always happy to hear from you.
Applications will be reviewed monthly by the CFTN’s Board of Directors. We will do our best to let you know if your application has been approved within 4 weeks. Decisions may happen earlier, depending on how quickly questions get answered. If your application is urgent please make this clear in the email when you send your application.
Next steps if your application is approved
If your application is successful, you’ll receive confirmation via email. In it, we will ask how you want to receive funding.
30 days following the completion of your event, project or campaign, we will ask your town, campus or school group to submit a short report, to provide us insight on the impact of your project.
How to Apply
We are in the process of launching this fund, so please check back soon, as we'll have an application online as soon as we can!