Fair Trade is a term, that refers to trade that is conducted fairly, where social and environmental standards are put in place for producers, and a fair price is paid. It also refers to a way to do business, and a social movement. It gets used in a variety of ways, by a variety of organizations, businesses and institutions.
Terminology and uses:
- Fair Trade, Fair trade & fair trade – All three refer to the term itself, and the ideas and values the term carries
- Fairtrade – Refers to Fairtrade International, a standard setting and certification organization (formally known as the Fairtrade Labelling Organization – FLO)
- Fairtrade certified, Fairtrade Certified, Fairtrade-certified – Refers to the certification conducted by Fairtrade International and its sister organizations around the world (such as Fairtrade Canada, in Canada)
- Fair trade certified or fair trade certified – Refers generally to the term, and to certification of that term
- Fair Trade Certified – refers specifically to certification completed by Fair Trade USA
- Handicrafts, Handmade – Refers hand crafted items such as homewares, decorations, and clothing
- Guarenteed Fair Trade – Refers to the World Fair Trade Organizations Guarantee system, that ensures their 10 fair trade principles have been met
- Fair Trade Federation Verified – Refers to the Fair Trade Federation system, that ensures their 9 fair trade principles have been met
- Fairtrade International – Global leader in standard setting, auditing and certification. Based in Bonn, Germany
- Fairtrade Canada – Sister organization of Fairtrade International, carrying out auditing and certification, and the marketing and promotion of the Fairtrade Mark in Canada. Based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Fairtrade America – Sister organization of Fairtrade International, carrying out auditing and certification, and the marketing and promotion of the Fairtrade Mark in in the US. Based in Washington, DC, USA
- Fair Trade USA – Former sister organization of Fairtrade International in the USA, who left the international system. Based in Oakland, California, USA
- Ecocert – fair trade certifier based in France. Ecocert now owns IMO, and certifies and promotes the Fair for Life program
- Fair for Life | fair trade certified by IMO – fair trade certifier. Formerly based in Switzerland
- World Fair Trade Organization – Membership based organization, where membership is based on adherence to a set of 10 principles. Based in the Netherlands.
- Fair Trade Federation – Membership based organization, where membership is based on adherence to a set of 9 principles. Based in Wilmington, Delaware, USA.
- Small Producers Symbol – Is a label that represents an alliance among organized small producers to build a local and global market that values the identity and the economic, social, cultural and ecological contributions of products from Small Producers’ Organizations.